5 Ways We Make Church Too Hard
Faith is Enough
We make Church too hard. We have created a country club and not the big party God intended it to be. So how do we make something easy so dang hard?
- Relying on Laws and Not Faith — Denominations and the Church have statements of faith and big books telling you how to believe and the doctrines to believe. We should focus on Faith in Jesus. Jesus died on the cross for all people’s sins. It is that simple.
- Jesus died for ALL our Sins — Jesus, in the Christian tradition, was God enclosed in a human shell. Christians believe that when Jesus was executed by Rome, something happened within that act. It means if you believe that God sacrificed God’s themself for you, you are saved. What is easier, fumbling around with guilt, sadness, and anger or just believing? How would you live differently if you were convinced you got a fresh set of downs when screwed up?
- You got to pray a certain way — The Bible says not to make a show of prayer but to do it quietly and keep it short. Don’t blather on as some Christians do. They do it for the crowds around them, and their attention is their reward. God hears your prayers. It helps, even if you don’t believe, at least speak your heart into the void…sometimes in the quiet, the void speaks back!
- It’s about authentic worship — No…It’s about community. God wants us to love God and each other. That’s it. I know an agnostic. I invited him to Church. He said he didn’t believe in God. I replied…then come for a coffee hour afterwards…because the community, supporting each other, and socializing matters. Too many sit in their homes alone…go to coffee at your local church! It’s free, and sometimes there are doughnuts!
- Only Good People go to Church — The world is full of people who sin, and this doesn’t stop at the church doors. We all do stuff, say words, and harm in the wrong ways. The church is not for the saints but sinners who desire another way.
So…don’t believe their hype. Come to Church.